Monday, September 3, 2012

Day 6: Devil's Postpile and Old Friends

Monday, August 13, 2012

Ediza Lake Trail Junction (mile 56.9) to Deer Creek (mile 72.7).

Today's miles: 15.8
Trip miles: 72.7

Last night, I was awakened at 3 am by rain. I smiled because I love sleeping to the sound of rain, rolled onto my back and dosed off again.

Morning was beautiful as always. The thunderous symphony of the raging river, coupled with the mist rising and evaporating as the sun kissed everything in sight was stunning. I could have sat there for hours just enjoying the view.





But I had some hiking to do and clothes to dry after yesterday's rain, but first I had personal business to attend to.

**Warning - skip to the next set of asterisks if you don't want to read what you may consider too much information**

Last night's dinner (and everything else I ate yesterday) were damn near forcing their way out of me like an overdue baby!

Normally I wouldn't mention this type of event, but I had no idea this part of the trail was so popular. I had to walk over a half mile before finding a secluded spot to take care of business. Talk about an uncomfortable experience. I felt like my intestines were being tied in knots. Yikes.

**end of report**

At 11 am, at Trinity Lake, a yard sale/gear explosion took place. My tent, bearproof canister, shirt, socks, pants, undies, gloves, hat, and sleeping bag were all laid out to dry as I enjoyed a snack at the pretty lake.


I also caught up with J.P. and Coleen, whom I first met on top of half dome, and later ran into at the Tuolumne Store. They are great people. They plan to hike the trail in 19 days so I'm not sure if I'll see them again.

Around 2pm, I arrived at Devil's Postpile National Monument. This place is a site to behold. Nature is pretty freakin awesome at times and this is one example of nature's greatness at work. The hexagonal basaltic slabs are shaped in mind boggling ways, creating a truly unique rock wall.



friendly chipmunk at the Postpile




The view from the top was just as impressive.



On my way from the Postpile back to the trail, it started to rain, but it didn't last long, so my rain jacket and rain pants found their way back on the top of my pack, where they stayed the rest of the day.

The clouds roared and roared boisterously, and I'm certain further north the trail was met with more of the wet stuff, but I enjoyed cloudy, dry conditions.

Hiking uphill to camp after passing the Red Cones, I got the chills at it finally hit me that I'm actually hiking the John Muir Trail!!

one of the Red Cones
I feel very happy and fortunate to be in this beautiful part of the world doing what I love. The scenery is amazing, the people are delightful, and so far, the local inhabitants are quite pleasant.

A near slip on a rock got be out of my head and back onto the trail rather quickly. It never fails - the moment I zone out, get lost in thought, take in my beautiful surroundings - I slip, I stump my toe on a rock, etc. Having my eyes work independently of one another is a skill I may acquire someday, but until then, I gotta focus on what's in front of me, especially out here.

Near Dear Creek Crossing, my home for the night, I ran into Abbie and Richie. We have similar schedules but have missed each other by a mile or so the last few days.

They are good company and I enjoy our conversations. I told them of my (potential) plans of thru hiking the PCT next year and they told me to phone them if I do as they live in a town the trail passes through. Oh, they also have a hot tub. Yeah!!

That would be really cool, but I want to thank them for their generosity in the present day. As I sat there at Deer Creek Crossing soaking my feet in the frigid waters after dinner, they were making hot chocolate for 3 people. It was my first hot drink in 4 days. I elected to keep the stove at home for this trip and do not regret it, but it sure was pleasant to enjoy a hot beverage.


A big THANK YOU to Abbie and Richie. You guys rock!

It's been another spectacular day in the woods. I'm tired and its past hiker midnight (9pm) so I'm off to bed.
------
“Life is your art. An open, aware heart is your camera. A oneness with your world is your film. Your bright eyes and easy smile is your museum.” ~Ansel Adams

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment