Friday, September 7, 2012

Day 10: Evolution Valley

Friday, August 17, 2012

Campground outside Muir Trail Ranch (mile 114.2) to North Evolution Lake (mile 130.1).

Today's miles: 15.9
Trip miles: 130.1

Woke up today at 7 am and decided to head over to the Ranch to check my email before hitting the trail. But before I could get going, a couple approached Chris and I and inquired about how to lighten their packs. We had a great conversation and shared tons of knowledge with the inquisitive couple.

Around 8:30 am I finally walked into the Ranch. Upon entering, Pat, the wonderful old lady who helped me yesterday, walked toward me and started shaking her finger at me.

Pat and I in front of the store @ Muir Trail Ranch
”I come in peace”, I said with a smile. Pat laughed and asked for my address. Strange, yes, but I told her anyway. She smiled and told me she grew up and went to school in Glendale, CA - my hometown. Small world!

On my way into the store to use the computer, I ran into Donna and Paul again. Donna asked me how my swimming lessons were going. They are really wonderful people and I hope they have a wonder-full and memorable trip.

Left to right: me, Donna and Paul
By the time I checked my email, chatted with other hikers, and foraged through the hiker buckets again for more goodies and sunglasses, it was 9:30 am. I quickly filled up my water bottles from the spring and left the Ranch. Unfortunately I didn't run into the wolfpack (the boys from Reno) to say hello.

The clouds had already gathered so I knew we were in for some foul weather today. Not on any other day had the clouds looked this threatening this early in the day.

My hike through Evolution Valley was beautiful and under cloud cover, making it very enjoyable. A few miles south of the Ranch, I came across a hut. It was the Muir Hut, built by the Sierra Club in John Muir's honor.

John Muir Trail Hut exterior
Hut interior
marvelous bridge crossing at Piute Pass Trail junction
Gorgeous Evolution Valley
awesome footbridge crossing over the San Joaquin River
Another beautiful footbridge - this one at the Goddard Canyon Trail junction
Beautiful Evolution Valley
Being a low snow year, Evolution Creek was only shin deep - an easy ford. In fact, it was easier than the ford required last night to get to the hot springs.

Evolution Creek
Around 1 pm, lightning struck, thunder blared, and the skies opened up. The shower lasted about an hour, but the dark storm clouds hung around and spat from time to time. All this rain does make for pretty waterfalls!


At McClure Meadow, I swung by and said hello to backcountry ranger Dave. Nice guy. Wonder what he does all day in that hut by himself. I would have inquired further and asked to check out the ranger station, but it was pouring rain and I wanted to keep moving.

About 2 miles from North Evolution Lake, I caught up to the wolfpack. They too plan to stay at North Evolution Lake tonight. After a set of steep switchbacks, we took a break at a creek. The smell of wild onions consumed the air. We were surrounded by wild onions here. Tyler picked a few and so did I.

Tyler picked wild onion from its root. Cool!
Look at all those tasty onions! 
I munched on one while I hiked, and I kept another one for dinner later. When we arrived at camp, I  diced the wild onions into my lentil soup. It was by far the best dinner I've had on the trail! The soup was outrageously good, and the onions made it that much better. My taste buds and tummy were very happy :))

Lentil Soup with veggies and wild onions - SO GOOD!
North Evoution Lake is absolutely beautiful and one my favorite lakes of this trip. The outlet of the lake drops off like an infinity pool into the canyon below. Spectacular views around every corner here. And the fishing isn't to shabby either. The guys caught a few golden trout after dinner.

Stunning North Evolution Lake
North Evolution Lake
Outlet of North Evolution Lake
Outlet of North Evolution Lake 2
Sunset however, was most spectacar. The alpenglow and the many shades of red and pink were amazing!

North Evolution Lake Aplenglow 
North Evolution Lake Aplenglow 2
North Evolution Lake Aplenglow 3
We stretched for a few minutes, stargazed for about a half hour around 9 pm and then it was off to bed.

The wolfpack in inverted pigeon
Another glorious day on the trail.
-----
“[It’s] wonderful how completely everything in wild nature fits into us, as if truly part and parent of us. The sun shines not on us, but in us. The rivers flow not passed, but through us, thrilling, tingling, vibrating every fiber and cell of the substance of our bodies, making them glide and sing.” ~John Muir

posted from Bloggeroid

No comments:

Post a Comment