Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend Shakedown Hike

I spent Memorial Day weekend exploring my backyard. No, I didn't pitch a tent at home, I went to the Angeles National Forest for 3 days and 2 nights.

I gotta tell ya, my backyard is even more awesome than I thought! Walking just under 30 miles in 3 days, I was treated to waterfalls, streams and rivers, wildflowers, cabins, clean air and great company!

Big Santa Anita Canyon

You can check out more pictures from my trip here.

This trek gave me the opportunity to test drive some new gear too.

My new Leki Voyager trekking poles are great. Got em on sale & they seem to be quite durable. They got caught a few times between rocks and bent in positions they shouldn't have but they survived.

Gotta be more careful.

I had also purchased an air mattress recently which I was very eager to try out.

Let me tell ya, my tailbone and bony butt have never been happier!

The REI Stratus is a great air pad - a bit narrow as my arms hang off to the sides but I still love it. Besides, its regular sized counterparts are all the same width.

I'm dirty and hungry, so gotta go eat & shower (not sure in which order yet). Hope your long weekend was just as wonder-full and fun, if not more so.

Happy Trails
Andy



2 comments:

  1. Ahh Santa Anita Canyon...I need go back there!! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do, Mark! I think that canyon holds magical powers :)

      Delete